• About
  • Blogroll(s)
  • Tags of Warcraft
  • Archives
  • Categories
  • Please Blizzard, let me rename my guild

2010 - 06.27

What a terrible guild name

No, not the raiding guild. Not the “top guild on the server” (hehe), of course not that.

When I moved my level 80s to a new server I left behind a small collection of low level alts (max level 30, excluding the DK) including Gwyd, the character I’m levelling with Bryn. I was toodling around in Stormwind on one of them when I spotted someone “selling a guild” in trade, and thought: “Aha! Somewhere to keep all of these characters, without having to hang out in SW bugging random unguilded people to ‘please sign my guild charter’.” I had a quick chat with the seller, arranged to meet him in Darnassus and suddenly Stora, my baby priest cloth warehouse, was a guild leader.

Of a guild called killers.

No problem, says I. I’ll just have a look in the guild interface and it’ll be no … problem … er … hmm. Ok, there’s no “rename this guild” option here. I’ll probably have to go somewhere and buy a “scroll of guild renaming” for a few gold or something. I’ll do some googling.

[Alt-tabbage]

Shit.

So, it seems that unless my guildname is against the terms of service and I report myself, there’s no way to change the name of a guild once it’s been established. And, unless I missed it, “stupid” is unfortunately not something the terms of service covers. So we’re stuck with it, I think. Aren’t we?

*shamed*

Tags: , , , ,

9 Responses to “Please Blizzard, let me rename my guild”

1. Rem says:

I’d say take a chance and make a ticket. You may just be lucky and run into an understanding GM.

• theanorak says:

Hmm. “Dear GM. I acquired a guild from a gentleman in /2 and discovered only too late that I couldn’t rename it. It’s called “killers” and a name this bad causes me physical pain every time I log in. Help me Obi-wan, you’re my only hope! Please can I rename it?”

Worth a go, I s’pose!

2. Tam says:

*snickers*

Go go killers… 2, 4, 5, 6, who depreciate….go killers!

3. Nowiamtree says:

Actually, getting a guild together isn’t that bad. Enthusiasm started out with a few friends, and Colt standing handing bags and gold out to starting characters. Yes. We were founded on the back of bribery. Oh. The. Shame.

4. Anea says:

Hm… yes, that’s a tough one. I want to say that if you had about an hour of time to kill it wouldn’t be too painful to get people to sign charters, but if there are multiple tabs (and you’re budgeting gold) perhaps you’d have to endure the pain of “killers”?

Asking a GM couldn’t hurt, I suppose!

• theanorak says:

There’s a couple of tabs — not huge amounts of cash, but as I don’t have an 80 on this server any more I don’t have any high-level tradeskills so I’m a bit reluctant to spend the grant I left my young students. If Gwyd ever gets to a level where his Alchemy becomes valuable, perhaps I’ll raise the money that way. For now I’ll have a try at Rem’s suggestion and, failing that, live with it. Perhaps I can tell people we’re fans of the band…

5. Asett says:

yes, i did it! “Dear GM. I acquired a guild from a gentleman in /2 and discovered only too late that I couldn’t rename it. It’s called “Titan Grip fans club” and a name this bad causes me physical pain every time I log in. Help me Obi-wan, you’re my only hope! Please can I rename it?” Now i have to wait 2-3 days for response from GM :D

Your Reply