Writing this is giving me a strange sense of deja vu.
Not quite a year ago, I was writing about how I really wanted do some raiding. About how I’d geared my main about as well as as possible from heroics. I’d built a healing set out of spare triumph badges which I was terrified to use. I had a newish 80 (Centrella the mage) who was proving to be fun and picking up gear.
Fast forward to today. Ano’s ret set is entirely i346, with the exception of a trinket (bloody trinkets! Not again!). His healing set (built out of unwanted spellplate and quest rewards) isn’t far behind. This time round I’m not so terrified of healing; having just about enough awareness to determine whether something is my fault or not helps a great deal in the event of an LFG wipe. Instead, I’m nerviously collecting gear and taking tentative steps into the tanking world (again) with Tremble, who had just accidentally tanked his first heroic in Wrath when Cataclysm was released. At 85, and having quested through all of Uldum and TwiHigh, he’s in the unfortunate position of being overgeared for normal dungeons but insufficiently well-controlled to be particularly useful in heroics. Still, that’s my learning project and there are at least many lovely guildies who are happy to pootle through normal dungeons while I figure out pulls and build the last bits of muscle memory, or suffer through a wipe or two when I get things wrong in a heroic.
Lastly … I really want to do some raiding (in Cataclysm)!
We’re ready. Heck, as a guild we’ve already killed our first Cataclysm raidboss (Magmaw) but Bryn & I were celebrating 10 years together on that particular day1 and after some buff food in Suze and several flasks in Inkroom we extended the weekend lock to Friday and … yeah ok, that metaphor has been tortured enough. Suffice to say I wasn’t present for that raid.
On the next scheduled raid day our raidlead/tank had a job interview, and as we’re currently a little short on spare tanks, there was no raid. The day after that, a guildie wasn’t feeling well and had to drop out, so again no raid. The time after that (last night) we were already looking a little sketchy when I discovered *I’d* have to drop out to work late and, again, no raid2.
* I’ve completed all of the Uldum quest lines on three different characters now, and I have a special plea for patch 4.1 or whatever the next client version is: please, PLEASE let me skip the cutscenes. All of them. Make me click “OK” twice if you have to, but … Grammy, the level 70 Werther-lock3. is waiting for me to finish the *must gear up my 85s with heroic loot* stage so she can get some playtime. And I can just about stomach the idea of schlepping about through Northrend again — with all her heirlooms and guild perks it shouldn’t take too long — but the idea of watching all those unskippable cutscenes for a fourth time is not thrilling.
* Tradeskills are weird. Jewelcrafting would appear to (once again) extremely profitable. My JCer is level 26, so I fail. Crafted plate items are still pricey, because of the truegold. Here’s hoping I can make some cash out of Cent’s tailoring before everyone dumps their 359 gear, and otherwise I’m going to be broke until the end of time.
* speaking of tailoring, a WHOLE WEEK cooldown for dreamcloth? *gnash*
* Hurrah for the dungeon finder. It’s not perfect and I have encountered the odd obnoxious or otherwise unhelpful player, but most people have been friendly and *gasp* talkative.
* Ret is scary-spiky after 4.0.6. Our guild tanks have mentioned that they can monitor my procs just by watching me bounce to the top of Omen (or that mob turning to face in the wrong direction). I still haven’t had the forethought to line up Zealotry, the Guardian of Stupid Pets and Heroism yet but when I do, I expect pleasingly large numbers for a brief moment before pulling aggro and going splat.
* Fire maging is still hard. Well, not hard, but I find it easy to make stupid mistakes. Perhaps I should say “I’m still not good at fire maging”. It *is* a lot of fun though, so I’m sticking with it.
* Unholy DKs are the new-old Ret Paladins. I seem to be able to put our respectable DPS by (more or less) mashing whatever is off cooldown. And with a 1s GCD? *snicker*
Just one more thing…
A little late, but worth offering a tip’o'the hat to Chastity and Tamarind over at Righteous Orbs, who have decided to close up shop. I can’t exactly remember how or when I first came across RO. I may have even followed a link to I, Deathtard or In My Sissy Robe after they’d already moved (the “late to the party” theme was one I could relate to!) but I *do* remember laughing delightedly and then clicking on the bottommost month in the archive list, so I could read from the beginning. Funny, insightful and incisive — sometimes painfully so — I’ll miss seeing their walls of text crop up in Google Reader and the all-but-guaranteed pleasure I got from reading them. Good luck to you both!
- Clearly no enrage timer for us. Well, for me, anyway. She can be a bit tetchy sometimes. Shhh! [↩]
- Yes, we do have more than 10 people in the guild We just have a few people who are not quite raid-ready yet [↩]
- Gosh I’m so witty. Werther’s Original. Warlock. Wertherlock. I should be on TV or something. Probably as a sofa [↩]